Saturday 30 March 2013

REVIEW: Soap & Glory One Heck Of A Blot Mattifying Powder




I'm 25 and my life is a landfill and, more importantly, my skin is an oilslick. It's unattractive to the point of hilarity. If I examine my face at the end of the work day without having reapplied powder, you can see tiny bubbles of oil rising glutinously from my pores, slick and greasy and revolting. It's not actually a problem I worry about all that much, on account of being an adult lady and having my priorities in the right place some of the time, but there's still part of me that's all, 'What would it be like, to not have a slimy face?'

My problem with powder is generally that I feel like it's just covering up a huge disgusting problem. I hate putting it on top of already greasy skin because I feel like my face is caked in dirt and oil and makeup and I'm just adding another layer of grossness. I feel most attractive either the second I've taken my makeup off at night or the second I've put it on, because having a face that feels clean is the most important thing to me. I use a non-oily primer and BB cream underneath a little concealer and powder (ha ha wow and here I thought I was low maintenance but it's okay I still can't figure out liquid eyeliner and I don't mind getting rained on). I've been using Revlon ColorStay but it's been doing that thing powder does when you look at it and it's all 'Ha ha I'm full of bacteria' and waves its fangs at you, so naturally I went to get a new one. Two branches of Boots failed to have my powder and so I came home with this.

Things that attracted me to it: the packaging. It reminded me of Benefit except without the excruciating expense. It was pretty and feminine but at the same time it was tough and not too cute. I also liked the fact that it focused on the fact it was a mattifying powder - that's really what I need, and I'm sick of looking slightly orange just to cover up the slurping grossness that is my oil-filled face. I'm super pale (what's up, colourless eyebrows that I don't understand how to colour in) so I was also attracted to the fact that this is a translucent powder. It might be different for people of darker complexions, but for me it was exactly what I needed.

The compact itself is pleasantly weighty and the mirror is good quality. The puff wasn't anything special but whatever, I'm not asking for the fuckin' moon here. But the powder itself. Mmmm. It felt light and initially it gave me a ghost-like white nose until I figured out how to apply it correctly, so that was super attractive for a while but luckily I figured it out so I stopped looking like a monster. I like that it is velvety but light. It goes on silkily and pleasantly, and, you know what, it's not talking crap when it says it mattifies your skin. It really, really does. Pat it on and all of a sudden no matter how greasy and gross you are, which I am, your skin looks clear and smooth and matte. I was very impressed by it.

My favourite thing about it was that even after putting it on after a day of wearing makeup it didn't make my skin feel gross or dirty. It doesn't feel like another layer of makeup - just a way to correct what you already have on. The texture is great and for a complexion as pale as mine it worked perfectly. You know, once I'd squinted at myself dubiously and patted off the excess. After that it was great.

I also bought the cheek and lip tint, Cheekmate, so I'm going to blog about that too. Please try to restrain your excitement, blog readers of which I as of yet have none.

Another review of this product which I enjoyed was here at My Beauty Notes.


2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. I have just ordered this product after reading this review. I think 'I'm just adding another layer of grossness' sums up my feelings towards powder at the moment quite nicely. I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the tiny droplets of oil on your face. My skin got pretty clear and I don't really use foundation, but I desperately need to find a translucent powder that I can put on top of my moisturizer, which doesn't leave me looking like a discoball in 2 hours (cough Rimmel Stay Matte cough), might give that one a go..

    ReplyDelete